In a world where many of us believe that a heart attack only happens to those who are over the age of 50, there are many common heart health misconceptions that we should be aware of. It can be dangerous relying on assumptions about our health, especially when it comes to cardiac monitoring and heart disease. If you have ever thought of any of these myths, it’s time to think again and set the record straight.
1. “It won’t affect me since I’m young.” Believe it or not, heart disease can affect people of all ages. Though the risk increases with age, we are seeing more people in their 30s and 40s suffering from heart attacks than ever before.
2. “My parents had heart disease, so I will too.” Although you may have a higher risk of developing heart disease if it runs in the family, there are steps you can take to reduce your risk including staying active, watching your cholesterol, maintaining a healthy weight, watching what you eat and more.
3. “A few extra pounds don’t hurt.” Obesity can lead to diabetes and high blood pressure, two risk factors of heart disease. Lowering your body weight by just 10 percent can reduce your risks significantly more than you may believe.
4. “I will know when I’m having a heart attack.” Although it’s common to experience chest pain, some symptoms may actually be quite subtle. You may experience shortness of breath, nausea, the feeling of being lightheaded, or neck or back pain. If you are unsure, it’s important to call 911 immediately.
5. “Those who exercise shouldn’t worry about heart health.” It’s a common belief that those who do not eat well are at a higher risk of developing heart disease, but just because you are eating healthy and maintaining your weight doesn’t necessarily leave you in the clear. Uncontrollable risk factors, like age or genetics can increase your risk. It’s important to see a doctor on a regular basis to keep your heart in check.
Don’t rely on some of these myths to make yourself feel better about heart health. Cardiac monitoring is an important aspect in making sure you understand where your health stands. Medicomp specializes in ambulatory cardiac monitoring to meet the needs of health professionals. To learn more about our products, call us at 1-800-23-HEART.